Categories

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Belles of the Ball Part 1

In a sea of awards ceremonies at this time of year, it's easy to become a bit jaded by endless photos of the stars on the red carpet. Some play it safe, some try too hard, some get it right and some get it just plain wrong! I like choosing my stand out star/outfit for each major event and interestingly, after the Golden Globes and the Screen Actors Guild awards this month, both my winners are wearing French couture. Perhaps all these years of living here are finally starting to have their effect on me.

And the 'After My Own Fashion' award at the Golden Globes goes to.... Anne Hathaway in Chanel

Photo: Getty

She looks so beautiful in this white, crystal encrusted Chanel gown, with her amazing pixie hair cut and simple jewellery, she quite took my breath away. It seems fitting that she should be winning awards for her role as Fantine in ' Les Miserables' when her mother had performed the same role many years earlier and inspired Anne to follow in her footsteps. 'I dreamed a dream' indeed. Red carpet perfection, I'm not sure how she can outdo herself at the Oscars...

And onto the SAG awards last Sunday night, and amidst a sea of ho hum dresses and the odd frock horror (Sigourney Weaver I love you, but what were you thinking?) the hands down winner for me was.... Marion Cotillard in Dior.

Wearing Dior pre Fall 2013 with a Chopard watch and diamonds she is effortlessly elegant, simple, chic and well, oh so French. She reminds me of Grace Kelly - French royalty.

Photo: Getty




 Christian Dior




As you can see, the bodice has been subtly altered from the showroom version and with the stark definition between the white and the navy on the nipped in waist and the deep pockets adding that touch of modernity, this is Raf Simons' Dior New Look for the 21st Century.

Coming soon, Belles of the Ball Part 2: the BAFTAS and the Oscars.

Justin Goff/GoffPhotos.com

PS: A Special Mention goes to Laura Bailey at the London world premiere of 'Les Miserables' in December.  Cinderella leaving the ball in pink chiffon and satin - fairytale fashion...




1 comment:

StealthCrystal said...

First! I love the new blog and look forward to your posts.
On the award dresses though, I just have an irrational rejection of strapless tops. I am not sure why, but I don't like them at all. Much prefer the Laura Bailey dress.