Categories

Tuesday 26 February 2013

Belles of the Ball Part 2

So, the biggest night in the Hollywood awards season is over. The statuettes have been given out, acceptance speeches made, agents thanked, tears shed and my general impression for the Oscars 2013?  It was all a bit underwhelming really. There were no upsets, no crazy speeches (well Quentin and Ben did babble a bit but we'll forgive them...), no catfights and no bonkers frocks - where are Cher or Bjork when you need them?

Photo: Michael Greco/Getty
Photo Caulfield/AP

Everyone played it pretty safe, which is no bad thing - good taste was prevailing, but as there was no standout winner for me, the 'After My Own Fashion' award is going to 4 women who have really proved the 'style at any age' adage. So, going from youngest to oldest:

Photo: Getty

First up - Jennifer Lawrence in Dior Haute Couture. Although it proved tricky to walk up steps in (don't they practice for weeks beforehand??), this is a fairytale gown for the 22 year old Best Actress winner.  She looks fresh, without being overdone and keeps it simple. The backwards necklace is a witty touch.

Picture: AP

Next - Naomi Watts in Armani PrivĂ©.  I just love this look. The slightly undone updo, her dewy glowing skin, there is just the right amount of cut out on the shoulder - it shows off her toned arms and amazing figure to perfection. A class act.

Picture: Getty

Sally Field in Valentino Haute Couture. This could be too fussy but instead she looks youthful and very pretty. If I can look this good when I'm her age (66!) then I'll be delighted. Her hair frames her face beautifully and she looks 'bien dans sa peau' (comfortable in her own skin).

Picture: Huffington Post  

And lastly, Emanuelle Riva in Lanvin. 86 on Sunday and completely stunning. This, (and I'm looking at you Heidi Klum) is how to do it. Elegance and class personified.

They are all winners in my book.

PS - I know I was supposed to be putting in my Bafta best dressed too, but I'm sticking with Ben and George, the men have it.

No comments: