Categories

Wednesday 29 January 2014

Ring out the Old, Ring in the New

Happy New Year. It's good to be blogging again and I hope that these early weeks of 2014 have proved a positive beginning, with the sense of hope and change that accompanies the start of a new year still resonating.

Photo: Pinterest

This year, I have decided that it's the small changes that are going to make the biggest difference and I am using watchwords rather than resolutions to keep myself on track: to be mindful, grateful and that little bit braver.

Photo: Pinterest

One of the reasons I took a break from my blog at the end of last year was because the sadness that I was dealing with due to the loss of my much-missed father became a weight that I was constantly carrying around with me and I was simply concentrating on getting through the days, keeping going and hiding my emotions, without giving myself the time to process my feelings. If my blog is where I voice and share my thoughts, then I didn't want to go there - I preferred silence.

Photo: Pinterest

Meryl has a point, and I've realized that's precisely what I've not been doing - in trying to keep my emotions in, I've been closing myself off, which is no good for anyone, least of all me.  But I've found that if I am mindful of the present and grateful for what I have, the weight lifts a little and I feel more able to re-engage.  This year I am determined to be happy, I want to take chances, accept the challenges and be the best person I can be - as a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter, an aunt, a friend. Sounds simple, but it's so much harder in practice.  


So whilst the sadness is still there, I think it's going to be OK - I can take it out, look at it, cry if I need to and then put it away, and get on with my life. Tennyson wrote a wonderful poem called 'Ring out Wild Bells' and it contains the lines: "Ring out the grief that saps the mind, For those that here we see no more." And it continues: "Ring out the old, ring in the new, ring happy bells, across the snow: the year is going, let him go..." So here's to letting go, to being happy, and to a new year full of promise.  I look forward to sharing it with you.

6 comments:

Micala said...

Hey my lovely, I'm glad you're back. Here's to a brave, bright and beautiful 2014 xxx

Janie said...

So sorry to hear about your sadness. So glad that you are strong enough now to be back blogging. Mx

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cala xxxxxx

Juliette Chisholm said...

Thanks to you all for your lovely comments, it feels good to be back. x

Susie said...

So pleased you're back! You articulate my own sadness perfectly. We sung Ring out Wild Bells so many times at school, I never gave the words a second thought!

Juliette Chisholm said...

I know, it just suddenly came back into my head and I realized how perfect the words were. I always loved singing it. xx