Categories

Monday 11 March 2013

10 things my mother taught me...

It was Mother's Day in the UK yesterday - for those of you across the Channel I hope you were all spoilt accordingly.  I sent my love and good wishes to my mother and mother-in-law, but here in France I have to wait until May 26th for la Fête des Mères. The boys make wonderful gifts and cards at school involving anything from jam jars and dried pasta to feathers and camembert boxes - it's all taken very seriously and I can't wait to see what this year's delights will be....



Photo: vintageaffair.com.au

So this set me thinking about the things my mother's taught me over the years. I'm not talking the big life lessons, but rather those little tenets that are now as much a part of my life as they are hers.  Here are her top ten tips which I thought I would share with you:



1. Always look at your rear view in the mirror before going out. (I cannot tell you what a good tip this is, you'd be surprised....)

2. Buy the best quality shoes you can afford. (Yes, you must - you are saving money in the long run, believe me!)

3. And if you really like them, buy two pairs (this rather beautifully applies to clothing too...)

4. Never go out without lipstick - preferably pink. Instant mood enhancer, stops me looking quite so scary on the morning school run.

5. Always write a thank you note. It's only polite and it's always appreciated, trust me.

6. Leave enough time when catching a train to catch the one before the one you needed to catch. (My grandmother's tip actually, but worth including - you get a few extra minutes to yourself - genius).

7. Never underestimate the power of a cup of tea. Cures all ills.

8. You can never have enough fresh flowers in the house - little posies dotted here and there lift the spirits instantly.



9. Nothing beats a good Sunday roast with all the trimmings.

10. Having a cat is good for the soul (even a mad one....)



Our mothers have been there, done that, they've made the mistakes and worked out the answers. It's funny how after all those years of thinking we're going to do it our way, in reality we carry on their traditions and uphold their values, just as they did with their mothers.

Photo: Pinterest

And so the world turns.... (and mothers rule!)

No comments: