Categories

Thursday 14 March 2013

Green shoots of Spring

Do you remember the feeling you had when you were younger and you had some new clothes?  It didn't matter if it was a duffel coat in July or a sundress in January - you wanted to wear it now!  Well I'm feeling a bit like that at the minute. The shops are full of Spring and Summer clothes (all those hideous final sale rails have thankfully disappeared), the April issues of the fashion magazines are telling us what we should be wearing and yet we seem to be stuck in a never-ending Winter....

Street Style Milan Fashion Week. Photo: Bridget Fleming


I'm desperate to come out of hibernation and throw off the layers. Imagine - a bare ankle, or even more daring - a 7/8 trouser right now. (The white stilettos are going to get their very own post - simply too rad to ignore....) The die hard fashionistas may be happy to risk frostbite at the shows but in real life I'm only hanging in there thanks to Uniqlo's Heattech (the amazing 21st century answer to thermal underwear, you can find the french website here) and an unflattering bobble hat.


To be fair, Spring is trying very hard - the snowdrops, crocuses and hellebores are in evidence in the garden but the daffodils and tulips are still a long way off, it's been snowing again in the UK and northern France and quite frankly I think we've all had enough.



So I'm filling the house with flowers to bring the Spring in and lift my mood and I'm concentrating hard on what I'm going to wear when it finally warms up - and the answer is GREEN.





Stella McCartney, Donna Karan and those clever boys at Rag & Bone have quite literally gone green with their S/S 2013 ad campaigns and the clothes look fresh, youthful, interesting and modern, which makes me ask why have I not appreciated this vibrant colour before?

Stella McCartney S/S 2013

Photo: DKNY.com


Kate Moss for Rag & Bone

I think this has to be one of my favourite images of Mossy, like, ever.  Oh how I want that jacket, and guess what - I want to wear it now! Et vous - what will you be wearing this Spring?

4 comments:

Micala said...

I can be commonly found poring over the earth in the garden, staring for signs of spring. Hurray hurray we are getting there.

I LOVE that first coat and green is one of my favourite colours. Love this post!

Juliette Chisholm said...

Thank you! Green can mean so many things but in this case, new beginnings, fresh starts and a taste of things to come....bring it on!

Anonymous said...

I do remember you wearing a lovely green Brora jersey on the beach in Norfolk many years ago. We were there for the boys' golf tour and It was the only day that it did not rain. Amazingly you were managing to paint your nails at the time without getting sand on them.
Janie

Juliette Chisholm said...

I remember that jumper, not sure I still have it... Can't believe I was painting my nails on the beach - a bit of madness, but a great holiday. X